Wednesday, December 16, 2009

In Living Color...


Maybe I’m the only one but I think there’s a double standard among black women.

The other day, my cousin and I were talking about our current favorite TV shows. She mentioned one show that both she and I used to watch…House. I stopped watching because I boycotted the Fox network, all thanks to Fox News Channel, which I despise. What struck me was the reason she stopped watching –Omar Epps’ character was given a non-black love interest. She went on to say, with glee, how Shamar Moore’s character was initially given a non-black female love interest but later, shortly after, a black female lover. Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Reggie Bush, Russell Simmons…that’s just to name a few. She’s always denouncing when black men date outside their race. Yet, she cheers when a black woman has a man of any race, white or Hispanic or Asian, instead of a black man. *By the way, my dad is married to a Hispanic woman but she’s never said anything about it…at least in my presence.*

My baby mama Halle Berry, for example: (a) her character roles in Monster’s Ball, The Rich Man’s Wife & Perfect Stranger and (b) her baby daddy-slash-lover Gabriel Aubry. Another example: Sanaa Lathan in Tyler Perry’s The Family That Preys. Speaking of Tyler Perry films, I Can Do Bad All By Myself finds Taraji P. Henson’s character falling for CSI Miami alum Adam Rodriguez’s character. (I never saw the movie so I’m assuming they may have gotten together, knowing T.P.’s film history) 

Why is it that black women have problems with black men being in interracial relationships but it’s okay for black women to have a little “jungle fever”? Black women come up with all kinds of excuses for their reasons of dating outside their race: no good black men left, they’re either married or gay or bi/DL, have no job or are man-sluts, can’t treat women right. The list goes on. Some even claim men of other races are more goal-driven and treat women better than black men. *Blinks* Just tear the bruthas down, eh? But when it comes to the “bruthas” ditching the “sistahs” for other women of other races, these same black women complain: all these beautiful black women (BBW) available, they’re intimidated or can’t handle strong educated BBWs, they’re scared or suck-ups, bourgeois or think they can boost their status/image.

What’s worse is when my cousin, same one from earlier, said she hope the Saints lose and Reggie Bush blow his back or his knee out…all so Kim Ho-dashian can leave him. *Now…you don’t go around jinxing my future baby daddy like that.*  Father Russell said it better:

That’s pure bullshit. I prefer funny, charming and yes, beautiful women. I like Black African women like Ms Tanzania, Flaviana, or Kiara; and I like French-African like Noemie Lemoir. I like African-American women like Porschla and Katie Rost. I like - no, LOVE – Asian-Black women like my children AND Kimora Lee. Oh, and I like Swedish women like my old girl Tova Johannsen. I like blond Texas girls like my ex girl Julie. I like Danish girls like Heidi Albertson. I like Puerto Ricans like Heidy Alliende. I could go but the point is made. I’m sick of racist self hating women suggesting that I prefer this and that. I prefer hot funny charming non-cigarette smoking, non-fur wearing women from any place in the world.


My black sistahs, #GetIntoIt! So what if a brutha like a little White, Mexican or Asian. Ain’t nothing wrong with dipping into a little vanilla every now and then. It’s almost 2010. This racial double standard among black people, period, has gotta stop.


Sign’d
AJ

No comments: