Saturday, December 19, 2009

Aunt Mary & Sistah Keys...

This past week, the ubertalented Alicia Keys released her somewhat anticipated fourth studio album, The Element of Freedom, and it is nowhere near any levels as her previous albums. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a good album. It’s just not great. I feel like Alicia’s work had gotten better with each album, with As I Am being her best. The 1st single, "Doesn't Mean Anything", was decent but a carbon copy "No One". The next single, "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart" is a better, fresher track that got me wanting this album. There’s a collaboration track, titled “Put It In A Love Song”, featuring my favorite bouncy bottom, Beyoncé…it should have been left alone. Miss Keys lost 2 points for that mess. Freedom should have been a step forward but instead, it’s three steps backwards. Tracks to check out:  Love Is Blind, Unthinkable (I’m Ready), Love Is My Disease, Distance And Time. B- *In stores now*
Side note: Swizz Beats was the inspiration for Alicia looking like a bird on the album cover.  
The Queen of Hip-Hop/Soul, Mary J. Blige, earned her title when she released her debut, What’s the 411?, with a new sound in the 90’s. Since then, Queen Mary has given us some classic albums, including My Life, Share My World and Mary. Then came No More Drama. It’s not a classic, in my opinion, but it was a hot album that broadened her fanbase. Love & Life was an epic #fail. The Breakthrough breathed new life into Mary’s career, becoming her best-seller and birthed the now-classic "Be Without You". Growing Pains was nice but a few steps backwards. Now comes along Mary’s 8th (I think) studio album, Stronger With Each Tear
…and MAN, am I disappointed. I loved the fun joint, "The One" featuring Drake, but it isn’t what I wanted the album to be about. When "I Am" was released, my anticipation kicked up for this album. I was sad to see "Stronger", which features my baby Chris Brown in the background, wasn’t included. As I listened, I noticed myself getting bored halfway through the album. In the end, I dumped the album from my iTunes, leaving only 5 of the 12 tracks: The One, Said and Done, I Am, We Got Hood Love and Color. I know she’s happy and all but I need another Share My Word-My Life kinda album. I’ma need aunt Mary to get it together. D- *In stores 12/21/09*

No comments: