Thursday, December 3, 2009

Grammy, The Joke's on You...

Whitney Houston has 6.
Toni Braxton has 6.
Mariah Carey has 5.
Janet Jackson has 5.
Patti LaBelle has 2.
Diana Ross has 0.

In contrast, Beyonce has 10 (solo) and Alicia Keys has 12. They'll soon have more than Aretha Franklin, who has 18 to date.

The Grammy's are a joke, and have been for years.

Much to their already diminishing credibility, the Grammy's revealed their list of nominees for the 52nd annual awards show, to be held in late January 2010. Beyonce leads the pack with 10 nods, Taylor Swift follows with 8. Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West and Maxwell tie for six, while Lady Gaga and Jay-Z tie for 5.

Whitney Houston, who's the biggest comeback story of the year and her team pushed up the album by one date to meet the Grammy deadline, was COMPLETELY snubbed. Granted, this isn't the Whitney we know from "I Will Always Love You". Years of smoking cocaine-laced weed and wear & tear has affected her vocals but I LOOK TO YOU was indeed a solid R&B album and has reached platinum status in the 3 months since its release with no major hit single. I guess Crackney doesn't care anyway since she has a record 412 awards. Kanye was also snubbed for Record and Album of the Year. Even the incredibly vocally talented and hilariously funny-face-making Chrisette Michelle was snubbed.

I'm not even going to waste my time on Taylor Swift. She just better give Kanye the proper thanks.

Bouncy received 10 nods for her album I AM...SASHA FIERCE. #Secretly, I like a few of her songs. Granted, the girl works her ASS (which is a beautiful one, at that) off and I congratulate her, however, seriously? I mean, think about this: in 1999, Lauryn Hill's MISEDUCATION OF LAURYN HILL received 10 nominations, in which she won 5. CLASSIC album. Based on the quality of IA...SF, is this album REALLY worthy of the 10 noms? For the record, "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)" should have been up for Record of the Year instead of "Halo". Come talk to me when she releases quality, non-disposable and classic material that will be remembered ten, 20 or even 30 years from now. In the meantime, I'm going to finally learn this Single Ladies routine.

♫All the single ladies...♫

4 comments:

Juan Giovanni said...

LMAO..man I love yo blog....I can appreciate you "real" response and views on things going on.

AJ said...

Lol, thanks Ryan. I appreciate that.

Juan Giovanni said...

No problem man!

sc8709 said...

I agree with you...I like Beyonce but 10 nominations??? DAYUM!