Wednesday, February 3, 2010

BET Honors...at church!!

"It's a marvelous feeling to be looked at and not judged. Judge not for your flaws but for your triumphs."
-Whitney Houston

Kicking off Black History month the right way and with a great start, Buffoonery Entertainment Television (BET) aired its 3rd annual BET Honors was aired Monday night. The network was honored the excellence and paid tribute to some of the most famous successful members of the African-American community. This year's Honors recipients include Dr. Keith Black for Public Service, Queen Latifah for Media, Sean "Diddy" Combs for Entrepreneurship, Dr. Ruth Simmons for Education, and lastly, my favorite crackish diva, Whitney Houston for Entertainment.

Each recipient was given a special tribute performance by select singers. I took the time out to bring you the highlights:


Kim Burrell - I Believe In You And Me
Paying tribute to her dear friend and uber (stan) fan Whitney Houston, Kim brought down the house with her stirring rendition of Whitney's classic "I Believe In You And Me". I've had the privilege to witness this woman work the mic and piano live when I was in middle school, and I damn near caught the Holy Spirit. So, naturally, I knew Kim was going to knock it out the park. But I'll be DAMNED!! Kim knocked it out the park, the neighborhood, the city AND the state! Poor Nippy can't even get happy without people accusing her of being high, strung out or drunk. Whitney STANS for Kim like a fan would STAN for Michael Jackson during one of his concerts. Ne-Yo said it: Whitney's "most favorite voice on the planet." That's evident by her leaping out of her seat like the ice cream man was passing by a child.


Jennifer Hudson - I Will Always Love You
I've always said it. Simon Cowell has always said it. Any singer should never, EVER touch a Whitney Houston classic. I'm talking about the classic that sat on top of the Billboard charts for a consecutive record-breaking 14 weeks. The one that became one of the biggest, best-selling songs from the biggest, best-selling soundtrack to one of the best-selling films of all time. Yes, the classic and timeless "I Will Always Love You". So naturally, when Jen-Jen sang the opening lines of the song, I immediately thought, "She 'bout to fuck that shit up and Nippy going to jail tonight." But, to my surprise, Jenny held her own. Known for oversinging and lack of control, the girl came a long way. If Whitney approves, which she did, then it was alright with me.

Whitney is living proof of God's work. To comeback from crack rock bottom to living a better life and selling 2 million albums worldwide is amazing.

Now, I could not leave out Aunt Mary and Mama Patti taking me back during their performances. Patti Patti showed out on the vocals and gave this Nicki Minaj chick that she's the queen of random facial expressions during a show. 





Queen Mary showed us why the 90's was the best decade in music. 





1 comment: