Tuesday, September 7, 2010

If you ask me, I'm ready...

No, I'm not talking about doing the unthinkable...although, I'm ready for that too.

I'm talking about finally coming out to the rest of my family and friends. I've become quite comfortable with who I am, not only as a person, but as a gay black man. Saying the words to a stranger, "I'm gay". The only thing is being able to talk about what happened to me as a child is not easy, and so is talking about the struggle in dealing with that and accepting myself. But last night, while talking to my friend, I realized that it's time. I can't keep this from them forever. My mom and sister chose to let me decide when I'm ready and, well, I'm ready.

But...the challenge is my best friend from back home. You know, the one that has more than just feelings for me? The church going choir director who says that she doesn't believe homosexuality is natural. She's kinda homophobic but not really. It's going to be really hard to tell her. I'm considering a written letter would be better to just lay everything out. I'm just not sure how to tell her yet but I know I want her to be the first person to know and that she should hear it from me, not anyone else. I owe her that much.

2 comments:

sc8709 said...

Hmph...I have something to say about holier than thou homophobes, but I'll save that for another time. Good luck to you and I'm glad you are comfortable enough to come out to your family. I'm happy for you!!!
*hugg*

CutieTJ said...

Wow! That's great! I'm rooting for you man! That takes alot of courage and you must be at the place necessary to take a step like that! So happy for you. ^_^