Sunday, April 25, 2010

Movie Reviews: Babies and Funerals


Okay, here's the deal. I just saw two films that were recently released: Death at a Funeral and The Back-Up Plan. I must say that after seeing the trailers for the two aforementioned movies, I wasn't too keen about seeing them. They seemed very unworthy of my hard-earned unemployment checks. But since their releases, I've only heard so much about how "...Funeral" was so funny, hilarious, crazy. Their words, not mine. But it convinced me enough to see it anyway. As for The Back-Up Plan, the trailer only showed me that the mid-wife scene where the lady growls during birth was enough to persuade me to see it but just for that scene.

Death at a Funeral

This was a waste of time. Not one laugh. Not a one. No chuckles, no giggle. Horrible, over-the-top acting. Predictable. Stupid. Unfunny. I could go on and on. Some things look good on paper but this just wasn't delivered well at all. It reminded me of "Kingdom Come" starring Vivica Fox, LL Cool J and Cedric the Entertainer. That was one tragic idea that should have never come out of somebody's head. Ironically, Loretta Devine stars in that film as well as this one. It seems lately she's been attached to a lot of bad movies (including the upcoming "The Lottery Ticket"). Grade: *Is it possible to go any lower than an F?*

The Back-Up Plan

 Another J.Lo romantic comedy movie. I know what you're thinking. Fluffy, predictable, schmaltzy. I usually don't do these kinds of films. But as I said, the only scene I wanted to see was the midwife scene. Well, the trailer didn't do this film justice. I actually found it a good, decent film with plenty of laughs. Of course, it is indeed a bit predictable and J.Lo's acting is still kind of bad but you can get past that. At least she's better than "You've been a very bad girl, Gaga." Y'all know who that is. (Sorry Bouncy) This film certainly helped me to recover from Death. Grade: B

2 comments:

sc8709 said...

Death at a Funeral was hella stupid. The ONLY reason I wanted to see it was cuz of Columbus Shorts sexy azz

deonte' k said...

I want to see Death at a Funeral...JLO flick was just ok to me.... but I love her!