Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Blind Side: Is it too much?

For as long as I can remember, I believed that men and women can be friends without the emotional strings attached. Basically, without one or the other catching feelings and falling in love. And I believed this was true from my own experience. I’ve had plenty of female friends, some sexy and some ugly as hell (I know that’s mean but it’s the truth), and never had a problem. But lately, things start to be different.

You grow closer and become the best of friends there is. Then it happens. Sex gets involved. Big mistake. Next thing you know, you start sharing your deepest, darkest secrets, have intimate conversations about your future and next thing you know, “my” future becomes “our” future. The conversations becomes a “what-if” look into what life would be like if the two of you were together. But behold, you swore you had no feelings for her and she suddenly admits she REALLY likes you. Emotional attachment begins.

It’s what I’m dealing with right now. My bestest friend in the world admitted many months ago her feelings for me. I responded the only way I could: that her feelings aren’t reciprocated. I had to nip it in the bud and she seemed fine with it. However, she seems blind. Lately, I find myself feeling like I’m suddenly in a relationship when I KNOW that I’m single. The hugs (I hate hugs), cuddling, kissing…the whole nine. I start asking myself, “Am I sending the wrong signals?” I’ve never done anything out of the ordinary to show that I’m in “like” with her in any way. Now, it’s time to bring up “the talk” and unfortunately, someone is going to walk away heartbroken.

The question remains: will we still be friends or will things change? Only one way to find out…

No comments: